Thursday, September 2, 2010

Being a primary school temporary teacher

After sitting my STPM, I decided to find a temporary job because there is a 6 months holiday before entering university. Actually, I did not know what job I should do. However, I will definitely not to be a waitress or promoter as I had taken these two jobs before and I felt that it was boring. A sudden think flashed through my mind. Why don’t I try to be a temporary teacher? I had already had a SPM certificate which fulfilled the minimum requirement. Furthermore, my friend promised me to be teaching in the same primary school with me. The last and the most important thing that convinced me to be a temporary teacher is that I am quite satisfied with the salary paid.

I was so regret in making this decision started from the first week I taught. I think I was too nice to those students when I first entered the class. Perhaps I should be fiercer when we first met. There might be people saying that “Oh, kids are so cute. How would you have the heart to be fierce to them?” Yes, before being a temporary teacher, I would say so too. Regret save nothing actually. Because of my kindness to them, I had been suffering for 6 months. What made me happy were the school holidays.

Students nowadays are really smart. They know which teacher is fierce and which is not. They will pretend obedient in front of those teachers who are fierce and they dare not to miss their homework given by that particular teacher. Well, my students pretended really well in the first class I entered. However, as days goes by, they showed their real attitude in my class as I did not bring any cane into the class. They started to be not concentrate and playing their own things while I was teaching. I remembered there was once I found out one of my student was not listening to what I taught and he was rubbing his eraser on the table and collected all the traces into a container. Then, he threw the traces to other students and thus causing others couldn’t be concentrate too due to the disturbance.

I approached him and I asked “What are you doing?” What he answered really made me angry. “I’m producing pepper with eraser.” He seemed wanted to continue his process of producing his “pepper” instead of concentrating in his study. I took his container which was full with those “pepper” and threw them into the rubbish bin and I returned him the empty container. His face turned black and stared at me. I stared him back and told him if he continued to do so I would repeat what I had done just now. Then he told other students that “This teacher no good.” He did something wrong and he dared to blame me. If I could, I really want to slap him. But as a teacher, I know I shouldn’t do that.

Besides, the guys in my class always created problems for me. They would bully each other or even bullying girls who are same class with them. This had caused the girls crying when I was teaching and I had to stop my teaching to solve the problem. At last, I decided to bring a cane to the class. They seemed more obedient after I brought the cane into the classroom. Perhaps it is the thing they were afraid of. But they revealed their real pattern after once I had punished a student with the cane. I had just caned him lightly as I did not want to hurt him. I really could not imagine what he had told me after I caned him. “Not pain at all. XXX teacher’s cane gives much more pain than yours.”

I really don’t know how to handle those students. I really don’t understand what those students thinking nowadays. I was not like that when I was a primary student. Undeniable, there are also smart and obedient students. I did enjoy teaching those students from other classes especially Standard 1 students. I think I was unlucky and had chosen as the class teacher of the naughty students. As a class teacher of them, I had to teach them most of the time and this really made me mad.

From these 6 months experiences, I realized that being a teacher is not that easy. They have to ensure that students will get the knowledge and learn to be a better person. I really appreciate all my teachers who had taught me. Without them, I would not be who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment