Saturday, September 18, 2010

The past, present, and future

My friend, Lucas had organized a birthday party at his house on 16th September night. Originally he wanted to organize it on 17th. He invited the entire secondary school classmate. At first, I declined his invitation as I had to go back Kelantan for my study on the same date. I was quite disappointed because I could not attend his birthday party. I had already missed many friends’ 21st birthday party as I’m trapped in university. Luckily, he realized that 16th was public holiday and he changed the date to 16th. The changing of date enables me to attend his birthday party.

Our class had 45 people. However, those who attended had only 20 people. Before our secondary school graduation, our teacher told us that it would be difficult to meet everyone in our class after we graduated. It is true. Some of them were having exam and some of them were abroad. We did gather with our classmate but just often with a few of them who are more familiar with us. Some of them I only able to meet them at this birthday party 4 years after our graduation.


We had a great time of gathering as Lucas had purposely arranged a table for us in his house instead of sitting outside his house with other guests. His house was full of laughter and noises after we entered. We were so excited to meet each other. Even after years, we still have topic to chat with each other. We talk about the past, present, and future.

We remembered how we walk to tuition centre from our school. It is really a terrible experience for us. After the school bell rang, we had to rush to the tuition centre as fast as possible because the time in between was just 30 minutes before the tuition class started. 15 minutes was used to walk there and another 15 minutes was for our lunch. There were no much choices for our lunch as we need to eat fast and usually we ended up with economy rice because no waiting was needed. We were carrying the heavy bags and exercise books all along the way, sweating like rain, and crossing the road just like little chicks. We all laughed when we talked about this. All these could be saved if we were lucky enough. There was a school van which fetched students to the tuition centre. But all these depended on our luck. If there were students absent and empty seats were still available, then we could get on the van. We still remembered it cost us 50 cents for the ride.

We also remembered the seats of our classroom. Who was whose neighbour and who had done childish and crazy things in the class. Those entire scenes were still clear in our memories. When talking about childish, everyone will remember the childish Yew Chang as he always ate bread in front everyone of us purposely when teacher was not in the classroom. He would just stop in front of us and eat his bread until we noticed him. Then he would chew his bread, smile to us and proceed to another person. Although he only did this childish action during Form 3, we still remembered and always reminded him about this.

I was really happy to meet my classmate. Besides the past, we talk about our current life. Some of them are going to graduate soon and some of them still have few more years to go, just like me. We discussed a lot of things, from studies to water of hostel. Water of hostel? Yes! We talked about it. I was complaining for the yellowish pipe water and others were complaining that there was often no water provided from the pipe. I realized that I should appreciate what I had now and stop comparing my campus life with others as different campus might have different problem. But when they heard that Kelantan had no cinema, they get shocked. “No cinema in Kelantan? Then what entertainment do you have in Kelantan? Oh! What a boring life!”

Last but not least, we talk about our future. We discussed about what carrier will we pursue, who will get married first and how would our life be after 5 years, 10 years and even longer. We had reminded those who are in a relationship do remember to invite the entire classmate to their wedding dinner. We also sighed as we had already 21 years old and we still do not have any achievement. We chatted until 12am even after other guests leaved. We were just too long did not meet each other.

After the gathering, I was thinking about the past. All the memories flooded in my mind. When I was in primary school, I hoped I was still a kindergarten student. When I was in secondary school, I wished that I was still in primary school. Now I’m a university student. I no longer hope I was a secondary school student but I wish I would graduate faster. It isn’t show that I do not like secondary school but it is because my mind keeps on telling me that we could not back to the past. Therefore I can only look forward. Perhaps I should appreciate my current life as after university graduation, I would miss university life one day because working life might be more stressful than study life.

We would often be unsatisfied with our current life but as time goes by, we would realize that the life that we unsatisfied before was actually a great time for us now. After SPM, there was a 6 months holiday for me before entering Form 6. I was so bored that time and did not appreciate the holiday much. After years, I am longing for the long holiday now. When we are holding something in our hand, we do not know how to appreciate it. When we lost it, then only we will regret. I really wish that I can appreciate the present so that there will be no regret for me in the future.   

Kindergarten

Primary school

Secondary school

University

Working

No comments:

Post a Comment